About the Company:
A comprehensive hotel software application that acts as a single platform for managing all administrative processes in the accommodation industry first wanted help with migrating the application for one of their key customers to AWS Cloud.
The application is used for administration purposes for a wide range of accommodation options from youth hostels to 5-star luxury hotels. The unique solution for hoteliers comes with an open structure, modularity and is easily configurable.
Noventiq’s Contribution to the Cause:
AWS migration helped the hotel software application’s client achieve dynamic scaling, and high availability for the hotel management application and Database environment. We assisted in planning and implementing their cloud migration journey to enable high performance and minimum downtime.
DR Needs of Hotel Solutions Provider:
Following the migration, this key client of the accommodations solutions provider also wanted to ensure high availability and resilience of critical applications. They wanted our help with setting up a reliable and robust Disaster Recovery (DR) solution for the hotel administration application.
- Cost Savings: Cost-effective strategy to ensure DR and business continuity.
- Database Recovery: To replicate the Database for ensuring minimum data loss and smooth DB failover
- App Resilence: To enable high availability and resilience for their critical hotel management application
- App Performance: To improve Recovery-Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO)
Enabling smooth application and Database recovery on AWS:
After clearly understanding the DR requirements of the client, Noventiq provided a DR solution that involved the warm standby DR approach to ensure low costs but optimal RTO and RPO. We put together the following solution for the client:
Leveraged Appranix as a 3rd party tool to backup and continuously replicate the cross-region application infrastructure. Appranix based backup and recovery strategy for application servers provides cost optimisation as they don’t have to run the entire environment always.
Used AWS Database Migration Services (DMS) for continuous replication of Database on AWS RDS and helps achieve RPO in minutes.
Created target network architecture and VPC using CloudFormation templates.
The database is hosted on AWS RDS for easy management.
The application server is deployed behind a load balancer for high availability and load distribution.
In the event of a disaster, data is already replicated with RPO of a few minutes and Appranix is used to launch the application infrastructure to recover the entire application in the DR environment.
Improving RTO and RPO with AWS DR
Once we set up their cross-region DR environment, the hotel administration application achieved:
- Disaster Recovery speed, high resilience, and smooth failover during a disaster
- Smooth app and DB functioning in the event of a disaster using the new DR environment.
- RTO of 1 hour and RPO of 15 minutes for business continuity and data conservation
- Cost effective solution for instantaneous Database backup and recovery.